Easy Peasy Super Bowl Sangria

2:55 PM

The last time I made sangria it was for Slope Day of my senior year at my undergraduate university (technically the last day of classes, but everyone ditches to celebrate the end of the year...aaaand the university hires an artist to put on a big outdoor concert). We were all about to graduate, had our post-graduate plans figured out, and were heading off to Europe for summer vacation, so we figured some celebration was in order. I whipped up some sangria and we drank outside in the grass, soaking up some pre-concert sun and taking ridiculous pictures. Best Slope Day I ever had.





These photos were taken by my sister from another mister, Lauren (pictured right). She is in Sweden now, and I miss her terribly! Here's to the good ol' days!





Speaking of celebration, the Super Bowl is quite the excuse for a party. And, to me, nothing says "fiesta!" like a big, juicy pitcher of fresh sangria.



This recipe is easy, refreshing, delicious, and packs a bit of punch. What more could you ask for?

It has to marinate overnight, so you should plan to start the night before.
 
To make 1 large pitcher you will need:

1 bottle decent Spanish wine (I like to use garnacha)

1/4 cup brandy

1/4 cup orange liquor

2 teaspoons sugar

1 bottle chilled cava (or other sparkling wine)

and any fruit you have lying around!







This time I used strawberries, an apple, half a plum, half a nectarine, half a lemon, and half an orange. You can munch on the rest as you go!

Here's what you should do the night before:

First, chop your fruit into manageable slices.







And pop 'em into your pitcher!



Then add your brandy and orange liquor.





Pop open your wine.



And pour in the entire bottle! My usual rule is a glass for the pot, a glass for the chef. I had to break it for this recipe, but trust me, it's totally worth it. 



Add your sugar and cover with cling wrap (you don't want the wine to get too oxidized, or else you will lose a lot of the underlying fruitiness).



Refrigerate overnight and dream delicious, ruby red dreams about tomorrow's treat.

Morning of:

Unwrap your pitcher and gaze in awe at the marinated deliciousness that was created overnight.



Then, when you're good and awed, get some glasses and pour away! Don't quite fill them up; you've still got the cava to go!



Make sure to include some fruit in each glass. It is the perfect post-drink dessert--all juicy and bursting with wine.



Next, open your cava and top off each glass. This adds a little extra tang, another layer of alcohol, and some spritziness. 





Mix it up a little, and enjoy!



Today isn't the Super Bowl yet...but it is a gorgeous day, and I'm not one to turn down a drink in the sun!








...especially if there is a cat involved.



Cheers!




P.S. If you're curious about the outfit, my scarf is my favorite Thai silk Jim Thompson (different, but still gorgeous pattern here, serious steal version here, and a scarf I am lusting after so much here), my shirt is from Nordstrom (similar and even better), my belt is custom made by a local Tucson artist, and my jeans are Gap always skinny (on sale!)



Thanks for reading!

You Might Also Like

15 comments

  1. I haven't had sangria in ages, now I really want a glass! Unfortunately I live in a state that monopolizes the sale of liquor, and the ABC stores aren't open on Sundays :-( Otherwise I would totally be making this tomorrow!

    -Camille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, maybe another time then! :)

      Delete
  2. This has made me want Summer so badly! Absolutely love Sangria!x
    zoeyinwonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sangria!! I've nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award. :)

    xo Kimi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much, Kimi! I'll have to keep an eye out for some cool new blogs to recommend. :)

      Delete
  4. Sangria is an essential part of Slope Day!! I'm a junior right now and I love it here. So weird that I just found your blog through comments on The Londoner - small world I guess! Anyways, I will definitely be trying this recipe soon xx

    ~Sherri
    http://cheriesherri.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a coincidence! I guess it is a small world. I am so glad you like it there! Enjoy your last few semesters; it really is a wonderful place. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend taking a cafeteria tray to the Slope for some nighttime sledding :)

      P.S. I hope you enjoy the recipe!

      -Sam

      Delete
  5. This looks tasty! I've never tried to make sangria before. I'll have to give it a try.

    -- Alex at Brainy Girls Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like it! :)

      Delete
    2. It was very good! I'm definitely saving the recipe to make again over the summer :)

      Delete
    3. I am so glad you liked it! :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you had an absolutely perfect day!! I also just wrote down this recipe for later reference when I'm off my extended dry January. Do you have any other delicious drink recipes to share? :)

    Deb | Debra Bros Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! My previous recipe post, Sgroppino al Limone doubles as both a cocktail and a dessert.

      Currently, I am working on perfecting a few new cocktails--one involving sake, one involving a delicious liquor called 43, and another using basil of all things! I hope to post them in the upcoming weeks :)

      Delete
  7. Starr Alexandria HaasJune 24, 2014 at 9:31 PM

    That was cute:) Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the post! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! I try to reply to all comments and welcome discussion! Leave a link to your own blog, if you like. I'm always looking for new reading material. :)

Follow on Instagram